If your question isn’t answered below, or if you’d like to speak with someone for further concerns, please contact our Director, Karen Wagar, at email@example.com — she would be happy to talk to you!
HOW CAN I REGISTER MY CHILD TO ATTEND GREAT LITTLE MINDS ACADEMY?
HOW CAN I ADD MY CHILD TO YOUR WAITING LIST, AND HOW DOES YOUR WAITING LIST WORK?
The waiting list fee is currently $75 per child. To secure your child’s spot on the waiting list, please submit your non-refundable payment by check or by using the credit card or ACH form located at the “For Parents” page. The Waiting List Form is also located at the “For Parents” page.
Siblings of currently enrolled students of Great Little Minds Academy are given priority on the Waiting List; thereafter, applicants are considered in order of the date the Waiting List fee was received. Based on this, we recommend that you add your child to our waiting list as early as possible.
WHY SHOULD MY CHILD LEARN A SECOND LANGUAGE NOW?
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ACQUIRING A SECOND LANGUAGE AT AN EARLY AGE?
There are many benefits of learning a second language at an early age:
- Young children are less self-conscious about speaking a second language. They tend to be less inhibited by the fear of making mistakes.
- Children enrolled in foreign language programs score statistically higher on standardized tests conducted in English. A number of reports have demonstrated that children who have learned a second language earn higher SAT scores, particularly on the verbal section of the test.
- It is widely believed that as we get older, our natural ability to reproduce new sounds starts to decline, making second language acquisition slower and more difficult.
- Communication in a second language requires higher degrees of conscious attention, thus stimulating brain development. Research shows that learning a second language boosts problem-solving, critical-thinking, and listening skills and improves memory, concentration, and the ability to multitask.
- Children who are exposed early to other languages display more positive attitudes to the cultures associated with those languages. The experience of learning a language introduces them to the world in ways they might otherwise have not experienced.
- Contrary to popular belief, young children are not confused when exposed to multiple languages at the same time. Children are naturally able to navigate multilingual environments.
- Acquiring a second language early in life grooms the brain for learning multiple other languages, opening a world of opportunities for later on.
- Children proficient in more than one language show signs of enhanced creativity and mental flexibility.
- Younger children will be able to develop a more native-like accent.
In cities from coast to coast, the use of Spanish is proliferating in ways no other language has before in U.S. history — other than English of course. Individuals that speak English and Spanish no doubt have employment advantages in the U.S. and global job marketplaces.
In a city like Houston, where the Spanish-speaking population is one of the largest in the nation, fluency in Spanish gives children and adults the opportunity to communicate with and learn from their neighbors.
WHAT IF MY CHILD FEELS LOST OR DOESN’T UNDERSTAND?
We would never let children feel lost because of a language barrier! Our first and foremost concern is the child. We want them to love their first experience of school. Children that attend our program initially know the target language at different levels. Our teachers are equipped to manage each child’s Spanish ability. They apply differentiated learning techniques that ensure each child’s academic needs are being met. They also use engaging props and materials to enhance learning along with a total physical response approach which allows children to learn the language effectively and efficiently.
We also encourage our students to help their new friends as they adapt. With the encouragement of the teacher, children that don’t speak the target language will follow along with those that do until they begin to absorb the language themselves. You will be surprised how quickly your child will start saying his/her first Spanish words.
MY CHILD ALREADY SPEAKS ANOTHER LANGUAGE. WOULD IT GET CONFUSING TO TRY TO LEARN A THIRD?
HOW WILL MY CHILD LEARN ENGLISH?
HOW DO CHILDREN BECOME BILINGUAL?
- The more children hear the second language, the faster they acquire it (Increased Language Input = Greater Language Output).
- Young children unconsciously process language in order to make meaning of sounds.
- Perception and understanding of language precedes oral production.
- Many factors contribute to students’ progress, including language background, amount of exposure, and individual personalities.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR MY CHILD TO BECOME FLUENT IN SPANISH WHILE ATTENDING GREAT LITTLE MINDS ACADEMY?
WILL MY CHILD FORGET THE SPANISH LEARNED AT GREAT LITTLE MINDS ACADEMY ONCE HE/SHE STARTS GOING TO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL?
HOW WILL MY CHILD BE PREPARED FOR KINDERGARTEN?
WHAT IS THE NAPTIME ROUTINE?
WHAT IS YOUR SICK POLICY?
DOES GREAT LITTLE MINDS ACADEMY PROVIDE PART-TIME CARE?
While we recognize that different families have different needs, Great Little Minds Academy is no longer accepting new applicants for part time programs.
Students that attend Great Little Minds Academy on a full-time basis (five days a week) feel a stronger sense of belonging and are more connected to their peers and teachers. This helps cultivate a sense of family and togetherness in the classroom and optimizes the environment for growth and learning. Furthermore, our weekly lesson plans are designed and planned to cover five days, with activities building upon previous day’s work. Finally, and of equal importance, we know that maximizing exposure to the second language best supports language acquisition in children.
WHAT ARE YOUR HOURS OF OPERATION?
DOES GREAT LITTLE MINDS ACADEMY ACCEPT NCI?
DOES GREAT LITTLE MINDS ACADEMY OFFER A DISCOUNT FOR SIBLINGS ENROLLED?
WHEN DOES GREAT LITTLE MINDS ACADEMY CLOSE?
Great Little Minds Academy operates on a year-round calendar, through the summer. Our center closes on major holidays, two weeks for Christmas break, and two additional days for in-service training.
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day and the Friday after
- Christmas Holiday Break (a 2-week closure)
- 2 Scheduled Staff In-Service Days (MLK Day & Columbus Day)
WHAT IS GREAT LITTLE MINDS ACADEMY’S IMMUNIZATION POLICY?
Each child enrolled in Great Little Minds Academy must meet applicable immunization requirements specified by the Texas Department of State Health Services. A copy of the child’s current immunization records will be kept on file starting on or before the date of admission.
If a child is exempt from any or all immunizations due to medical reasons, a letter signed by a licensed physician stating such must be provided. This letter must be updated annually.
Great Little Minds Academy does not accept children exempt from immunization due to reasons of conscience, including a religious belief.